Primaire inhoud van de pagina
Entity view (Content)
Main or secondary occupation?
1. Main or secondary occupation?
Ready to go all the way? Then you start as a main occupation. Or, do you want to give yourself the time and space to build your customer base and determine your strategy? And do you want to take less risk financially? If you meet one of the six conditions, you can also start as a secondary professional.
Choosing your company form
2. Choosing your company form
Those who start as freelancers often do so under a one-man business. But sometimes it is wiser to set up a company. In any case: every form of business has its advantages and disadvantages. Don't know which form of business suits your plans best? This Acerta test tells you which form of company you should choose.
Joining a social insurance fund
3. Joining a social insurance fund
All self-employed people, including in secondary employment, are obliged to join a social insurance fund such as Acerta. Why? Because you have to pay social contributions to the government just like employees. They pay this monthly through their wages, you pay this quarterly through the social insurance fund.
Based on your status and income, the social insurance fund calculates the exact amount you have to pay. In return, your social security such as health insurance, pension accrual and child benefits are guaranteed. You pay an administrative cost to your social insurance fund for the management, and at Acerta this is the lowest on the market.
Are you self-employed as a secondary occupation? Then you pay a solidarity contribution every quarter. Your social security is guaranteed through your salaried job.
Your health insurance fund
4. Notify your health insurance fund
In addition to your membership of a social insurance fund, you must inform your health insurance fund of your new status. Do you choose Acerta? Then we'll do it for you.
Your registration with the CBC
5. Your registration with the CBC
As a freelancer, you work at the client's premises or in many cases at home. You may not be opening a physical office, but that doesn't change your obligations. For example, you have to register in the CBC register of the Crossroads Bank of Companies (Kruispuntbank van Ondernemingen, CBC). After this, you will receive your company number with which customers and suppliers can identify you.
Please note: your company number is not the same as your VAT number. Yes, they are the same digits today, but you have to activate your VAT number separately. Are you starting small? Then you can apply for a VAT exemption.
A safety net for now and later
6. A safety net for now and later
When you start out as an independent IT business consultant, your investments are relatively small compared to someone opening a hospitality business or web shop. That's handy, because it means you can immediately invest in a good safety net through insurance and a supplementary pension:
- Guaranteed income insurance protects you against loss of income due to illness or disability. It is an extra monthly payment that you receive on top of your health insurance payment. This insurance premium is fully deductible from your professional income.
- (Social) VSPSS (Voluntary Supplementary Pension Scheme for the Self-Employed) is a (social) supplementary pension for the self-employed and is always a good idea. Because your statutory pension is often not enough to maintain your accrued standard of living.
- The professional indemnity insurance with civil liability is not mandatory for you as a freelancer, but highly recommended. Thus, you are insured for any damage (to third parties) caused by an error or negligence inherent to your profession.>
TIP! Via Acerta and our partner KBC, you can take care of all your insurances in one go.
Easy does it!
Ready to start as an independent IT business consultant? But would you rather focus on your projects than all the administration? Acerta's business office team will help you in:
- Registering your company with the Crossroads Bank for Companies (CBC). Don't have a business bank account number yet? No problem. We do the registration with your current account number and you can easily change it for free at a later stage.
- Joining the Acerta social insurance fund .
- The application and activation of your VAT number.
- The application for insurance.
Effortlessly start as an independent IT business consultant?
Acerta will be happy to arrange it for you online. Do you prefer to make an appointment via video call or at the office? You can too!